Tuesday 24 March 2015

World War One Narrative - Dear Diary

Dear Diary,
At the start of the day, everything was normal. I sneaked out again, to see my friend. He is Maori I’ve never told anyone about the things we do. We would try and seek for the limits, and find a better life. He would tell me about his culture, and I would tell him about mine. But none of this could happen today. It was terrifying to hear that, my legs were shaking. “Do not worry” A calming voice told me. “He won’t have to go.” I know my mum was just trying to calm me down but I burst into tears. So many innocents. I might not be able to see my father again. But we weren’t the only ones they wanted. I don’t know how will this end as.

Dear Diary,
I’m staring. Just staring as the wind blows my tears away. But things won’t change. And I’m just a kid. “Isla, who are you kidding?” I whispered to myself. “I’ll miss you” I whispered one more time as I stared at faces full of fear, hugging loved ones. Another tear drops. But fears won’t just drop out of your head. I hate watching this, but I guess it makes me feel better. Knowing I’m not the only one. The only one trying to hide the rain in my eyes with a fake smile. My heartbeat is going faster. I don’t believe it. He did it. He’s going to war. “Maaka, don’t!” I shouted my heart out. He didn’t listen. The paper was already signed. These coal black eyes facing me were smiling as I felt a thunderstorm deep inside. I just ran towards him. I opened my mouth, but no words came out. My mum called me. I had to go home.

Dear Diary,
After breakfast I quickly ran out the door. He was waiting for me at our usual place. It’s strange the waterfalls still shined like a thousand stars while sorrow was everywhere around it. He apologised. Still he said he must go. “Why?” I asked full of anger. Thats when he started explaining. “If I don’t go you will not be safe. I want to protect you. And my family. You’ve helped us more than anyone before. I must go, for you.” I swallowed and spoke. “Do you really think that if you leave I’ll be happier? I’ll die from these fears. You don’t understand. Don’t go. Please.” I said quieter and quieter. He put on a fake smile. “Wrong. You will die if I don’t go. But I will return, I promise. And think of everybody I will be protecting. What will happen if I stay. They will take our land, they will kill everybody. They won’t take it easy even on your little brother.” Suddenly I found a big lump in my throat. I hugged him. “Keep your promise!” I shouted.

Dear Diary,
I don’t know what to do! I’m freaked out, in my bed. I never felt like this about anyone. “Come back, come back, come back,...” I keep saying in my head. Every minute seems like a thousand years. I’m crying. I don’t even know if he’s still standing on his feet. Maybe he isn’t breathing anymore. I feel like my heart is going to jump out. I roll off of my bed. I hear a knock on the door. I need to pretend I’m asleep. It was mum. She left now. His words suddenly jump into my head. “What will happen if I stay. They will take our land and kill everybody.” I have to hold it in. I take a big breath. I know he will be back. I just do. If he doesn’t… I can’t say… I have to get up, I can’t just lay here the whole time. But I did anyway. Nothing I can do.

Dear Diary,
The news came out. They are shooting now. Murdering each other this very second, while I am having breakfast. Is he still there, will he be back. It’s like it was just yesterday we met. “Mum, do you think…” I stopped. I can’t finish the sentence. I’m dying inside. Who are they to take away everything from me? I cannot live like this. A tear drops. My mum walks up towards me. “I am not saying you shouldn’t worry, but have hope and everything will be fine.” She mutters. I put up a fake smile. I run outside. I don’t care it’s raining. At least nobody will notice my tears. I whisper “Yes, I am smiling, but inside I’m dying…” As I walked away from home, the stars came out, reminding me of the time we spent together. But soon they will be back. Please do.

Dear Diary,
As days turned into weeks, weeks turned into months and months turned into years. He should be eighteen now. Happy birthday. Well, I hope it will be happy. We won. Today soldiers should return. I’m waiting by the ships. Two pitch black spots caught my eye. I couldn’t believe it! He’s here! I run towards him. As we drifted closer together, our eyes closed and our lips touched. So many tears drifted. My mum was watching, she said nothing, just put a grin on her face, yet she was worried. I remembered why. “Dad!” I screamed. Everybody was off the ship. He hasn’t come. He’s gone. I fell. I screamed. I miss him.

Dear Diary,

Long time has gone since Dad… Ok, it’s my eighteenth Birthday and I got the best present you can think of. A ring. It’s hard for me, I have to admit. But I can’t go back in time to fix what has been done. I wish I could. “Yes!” I spit out without thinking. This seemed to be the only thing that made me smile since that day.

0 comments:

Post a Comment